There are a number of ways we can provide financial support to those who qualify. Full details are provided on the following pages:
16-19 Bursary Fund – to download an application form, click here
Free School Meals – to download an application form, click here
Reduced Cost Bus Travel
16-19 Bursary Fund
Get help to pay for essential education-related costs if you are 16 to 19 and in further education or training.
The Bursary Fund can help pay for costs like:
- equipment you might need for your course
- transport to and from your school or college
You could get a bursary of £1,200 a year if you are in one of the following groups:
- students in care or care leavers
- students claiming Income Support
- disabled students getting Employment and Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance
How it is paid
The bursary is paid directly by the college on a monthly basis. This is dependent on an attendance record of 90% or above which will be monitored on a weekly basis during that month.
Free School Meals
A child may be eligible for Free School Meals if their parent/carer is in receipt of:
- Income Support;
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income-based Employment & Support Allowance
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (but not if you also get Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income under £16,190; or
- If you are an asylum seeker supported by the UKBA under Part VI of the Nationality and Asylum Act 1999.
For more information, contact the school or phone the Stoke-on-Trent Free School Meals Team on 01782 236813 (Minicom for the hearing impaired 01782 232331).
Reduced Cost Bus Travel
The Smart multi-operator bus ticket gives you the freedom to hop on and off buses in the city using just one ticket. Buying a Smart ticket takes away the hassle of wondering if you have the right bus ticket or worrying about having the correct change before you travel on the bus.
|Ticket||Further education student|
|Student Smart week||£16|
|Student Smart month||£50|
|Student Smart 3 month||£125|
You can buy your Student Smart tickets from the Studio College office at Burslem.
Where can I travel with my student Smart ticket?
As long as your journey is within the boundary area of the scheme, you can travel with any of the bus operators listed below, on any bus route or at any time of day with a Smart ticket.
Smart tickets are valid on the following bus operators´ services:
- Wardle Transport;
- Bennetts Travel;
- Arriva Midlands.
There is also travel support available for students who:
- live over 3 miles away from the college
- live in a household with total earnings less than £20,000 per year
- live independently and claim income support
- and are 16-18 years old.
For further information please contact the Studio College office on 01782 603171.
Travel for £1
If you are aged between 11 and 19 and live in Staffordshire a ´Your Staffordshire Card´ will allow you to travel for just £1 on any single bus journey which starts or ends in Staffordshire.
You can apply for a card regardless of whether you are at school, university, are working, or looking to get a job.
How to Apply
- The easiest way is to apply online.
- You can also pop into your local library and apply at the counter. You will not need to fill in any paper forms and your photo will be taken there and then. Be sure to take proof of ID and your address. If you are 15 or under your parent or guardian will need to be with you.